Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Gratitude Day 9

This morning (about 7:30), Coleman had just woken up. I was opening his shutters to show him the snow outside. It was a good thing I did as I started to witness a man stealing Braeden and Carter's scooters that had accidentally been left outside in the empty lot next door. I ran downstairs and ran outside in my pajamas with no shoes on in the snow so I could try to rescue the scooters. The guy saw me running towards him and he acknowledged me. I told him that he couldn't take those scooters--they were ours. He proceeded to take the scooters out of the back of his truck where he had just put them and he put them back where he got them. I kinda chewed him out and then he apologized. I thanked him for returning them and came inside to give Braeden and Carter a lecture about not leaving their scooters and bikes out. I'm thankful that I was able to rescue their scooters. But I think my gratitude goes far beyond that. As I was walking back inside the house after my confrontation, I thought to myself that this guy (who spoke little English) was probably thinking he could get these to give to his kids. He possibly did not have the means to get his kids scooters. Now in no way does that justify stealing; however, I know that every parent wants to be able to give their kids some fun things. I especially love to give me kids things, like scooters, that help to keep them physically active and playing outside. Fortunately, we have been able to provide these things for our boys. Now, I am known to find some pretty good deals. Carter's scooter was purchased at a garage sale for $3 and Braeden's was purchased when there was a killer deal at Target. So, it's not that we buy really expensive elaborate things for our kids, because we don't. But, I am grateful that I've never been in a position to where I've felt like I would have to go to desperate measures to take care of my kids. I hope this man learned his lesson. When I told Braeden about it, his first question was "did you take down his license plate number?". That kid! His next question was "was he wearing a black mask over his head?". Funny! So, hopefully this man learned a valuable lesson and hopefully the boys will be more careful about putting their scooters away! Thankful I rescued the scooters that my boys love so much and thankful that we're so blessed!

No comments: