Thursday, August 13, 2009

I love what you do for me!



Do you remember those old Toyota commercials that ask where were you when your Toyota hit the 100,000 mileage mark or the 200,000 mileage mark. Well, on Tuesday I was driving home from the old neighborhood where I went running with a friend and our Toyota Camry hit 200,000 miles! You gotta love a good reliable car that will run and run for your for 200,000 miles without a major problem. This car's been with us for some of our biggest events, driving off from the temple after we got married and bringing three little babies home from the hospital. I hope we make it to 300,000 miles with this gem.

Side Note: This car does not qualify for the Cash for Clunkers program. Don't even get me started on that. I just don't understand how a program intending to help the environment and economy will allow for people to get a Toyota Tundra (Jeff's dream truck) because it is an improvement of a few miles per gallon from the "clunker" they turned in. Do you know what kind of gas mileage a vehicle like that gets? I do see that there have been some benefits to this program, but I feel bad for the used car dealerships and charities which accepted old cars that are suffering. Not to mention that I found it a little weird that only 2-3 out of the top 10 cars being traded in this program are American-made cars. Sorry, just had to vent. Don't even get me started on HEALTHCARE REFORM, I might explode! We saw on the news this morning that Pres. Obama is heading to Montana and Colorado for "town-hall" meetings. Hmmm...I saw a few clips from his meeting a few days ago in which every person there was a huge Obama supporter and huge supporter of this Ka-Trillion Zillion dollar piece of legislation. That's really productive to have all these people come to show America that really everyone is in favor of such reform. This was total unrepresentative of the over-all population and sad that those opposing Obama's plan were not allowed in. I know that it would be difficult for Pres. Obama to have all the answers to their difficult questions immediately pull up on his beloved telepromter (that he can't seem to speak without). Well, I guess if he doesn't have an answer to someone's difficult question, he could just call the hotline that the Whitehouse set up. It would be awesome if he could do this right in the middle of a cancer-survivor's question like a Congresswoman did yesterday in Texas (I think it was TX, I could be wrong and I can't remember her name, but I've seen the clip 4-5 times now and it was UNREAL that she would just get on her cell phone right in the middle of this lady's question). Anyways, I guess I should stop going off on this now. And, I was half serious when I told JP that we should head to Montana or Colorado (both great states to visit) today to get to one of these town hall meetings where I'd love a chance to express how I feel. I just wish we could all get the chance to VOTE on this. I don't think we can trust our elected representatives on this one--the majority of them admit they haven't even read the bill. Ridiculous!

Okay, sorry to go off on that "side note", but I guess I had to vent somewhere.

1 comment:

jen said...

Cash for clunkers=craptastic! Honestly, what a horrible idea that they decided to renew. As for healthcare, I do believe there needs to be a reform. I just don't believe the governmennt should be paying for it. There is a guy in my ward that wrote a good article about this. He is a medical student now at UC Davis. His blog is http://thefactofmyignorance.com/. Unlike many of the congress men and women, he has actually read the proposed healthcare bill and can put it into some perspective. It's a long article, but very informative.