Monday, September 22, 2008

Wishin' I had a Rambler



The big day has come and gone. I did it--I did something I never thought I would or could do. I ran a marathon this past Saturday. After all my miles and miles of training, I finally did it. I was so nervous in the days leading up to it. I seriously questioned if I could really do it. I also worried about all the logistics--waking up on time (4:20 a.m.), catching the bus, remembering to pack my running shoes, etc. etc. etc. Well, I did wake up on time and of course I remembered my running shoes. I think I must have tied and re-tied my shoes about five times to make sure they were just right. Anyways, it ended up being a great experience. I proved to myself that I could do it. I remember after I had Braeden, JP bought a running stroller at D.I. for $7 (it was in good condition--what a great deal). I really wanted to lose baby weight and knew I needed to exercise. So, I went to a park that has a one mile running track around it. I couldn't even run a mile. So, I gave up on the idea of running pretty quickly and just figured that I wasn't cut out for it. Then, after I had Carter I tried again. I didn't even have real running shoes, just a pair of Sketchers. I stuck with it that time and every time I ran I just tried to go a little farther. One day I came home and told JP that I had run farther than I ever had in my whole life--5 miles. So, he told me that I should do a 10k. So, I did. Then, I realized that I loved this whole running thing. I found myself trying to calculate my pace and improve on it. Then, I got a great running buddy and that made it even funner. The whole time I was pregnant with my little Tan Tan, I was anxiously awaiting being able to run again (wasn't up for running through pregancy) so I could do a half marathon. After doing the half, I decided that seeming how I was half way there, I might as well go for the full. So, that's how I ended up doing a marathon. I felt like I did really good for the first 20 miles and was really happy with my pace, the last 6 about killed me! I was taking very frequent walk breaks and it was hard. But, when I came around the corner and saw the finish line, that was the best feeling ever. My friend DeAnn came and ran the last 12 miles with me. That was a huge help. My boys were there to support me too. JP was so good to "give me" Saturday mornings to do my long runs. He is such a huge support to me. What a guy! Anyways, I'm glad I did it, but right now I'm really glad it's over. My calves and quads are pretty sore. I am wishing we had a rambler instead of a two story with tons of stairs! Oh well. Oh, the main question that everyone asks is "what was your time". Well, I did it in 4:34! And, it actually went by pretty quick.

6 comments:

Trent and Rhonda Wardwell said...

I have to say, you are amazing! I was wondering what the results were on your "biggest loser" wagger was? Is it on going? Or did you win?

kara said...

Great job! I'm so proud of you. Way to set a goal and achieve it.

jen said...

Congratulations! I letting you keep running for me too. I hate it. Maybe some day I will find it enjoyable, but I can't think of when that day would be!

Doug said...

You're my hero!

Shawna said...

congrats! that really is an amazing accomplishment. Now you need to come run the St. George Marathon! And when you do you can come and visit us.

Angie said...

Great job! Way to go! I am just starting my running again, but I love it too! You've come a long way because I remember our few walks around the temple in Provo. That was when I could run 5 miles a day. I wanted to start training for a marathon right before I met John, but I never did it! You are such a motivation to me! Thanks for sharing your story. It is truly moving! I might need some of your running advice!