Thursday, December 16, 2010

Carter's Half Birthday



So, this is way behind, but better late than never.

We started a new, fun tradition this year with the kids. With four kids now, I struggle to find opportunities to do special things one on one with them. I've found that it has to be structured in order to make it happen. So, we decided that on the kid's birthdays, Jeff takes them out to breakfast--just the two of them. It's funny because the kids are completely intent (actually insistent) on just going to McDonald's. That works great because Jeff can do that relatively quickly so he can get to work and not have to wake the kids up too early to take them. Anyways, so Jeff has done that with all the boys this year. I wanted my turn too. So, I decided that I'd take them on a little date for their half birthday. So, Carter's half birthday was at the end of October. I let the boys pick an activity and then a place to go get a treat. Carter initially decided that he would like to go bowling. I was a little worried that he might not love bowling, so I decided to take him to a big fun center type of a place that has a little kids bowling alley among other things to do. That way if he didn't like bowling (which he really didn't love) then there would be other things to do. So, he got to go on a go kart ride, do a little game of bowling, and play some arcade games. Oh, I forgot to mention that he wanted to get his treat first. So, he picked Dairy Queen. Anyways, we had a lot of fun. It was weird for me to only have one kid to worry about. It was nice to be able to just chill out a bit. It's hard to believe that Carter is now 4 1/2. He's such a fun, sweet little guy.

No comments: