Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tender Mercies

The words "tender mercies" came to mind tonight as I was contemplating a few things. The following are a few things that have happened lately that made me feel this way...
1- Tanner's surgery went well and he is recovering well. What a blessing. He acts almost as if nothing happened. He has these ridiculous looking bandages stitched to both ears and he'll occasionally say that his ears hurt. But, he is running around like crazy being the two year old that he is. It is very stressful for me as I worry about him bumping his ears, pulling on his ears, falling and hurting his ears, his brothers bumping his ears, etc. , but overall it has gone very well. We are thankful that he is doing so well. He is such a sweet little guy. He likes to call me "mama" lately (he usually would call me "mom" like his brothers do). He is so good at saying please, thank you, your welcome, etc. . He does little things for us and then says "feel better?". He says "Good Morning" to us in the morning and even though Mother's Day has passed, he still wishes me "happy mudders day" all the time. He loves to snuggle and give loves. He wants me to sing "I am a Child of God" to him every night. After I've sang it once, he says "more God mama". I usually end up singing it a few more times. It's just like he can't get enough of it. Braeden and I sang it to him in the car the other day when he was sad about something. He has never been like that with any other songs. Plus, I'm not much of a singer, so it makes me feel good to have someone wanting more of my vocals! Ha! We're so glad that his surgery went so well. Even though it's relatively minor surgery, it's still scary and I'm always glad when he wakes up after surgery and I get to see him again and know that he's okay.
2- Related to Tanner, I am so thankful for all the kindness extended to us. People have been so kind and thoughtful. Tanner's nursery leaders, a husband and wife, stopped by tonight to bring Tanner some special stickers plus they put his name on the prayer roll at the temple. That was all so touching to me. What a great example of loving those you are called to serve. It's easy for many in a calling like that to just think of it as babysitting at church. It is so much more than that though--especially with Tanner's nursery leaders. They make such an effort to teach these little ones. We feel so lucky.
3- My mom generously gave of her time and energy to help take care of the big boys while we were at the hospital. Then she sent home a yummy dinner for us. She is always helping and serving others. When I talked to her yesterday she was a little tired when I asked her why she said that she didn't get to bed until 4 a.m. Now my mom is not a night owl, so that's unlike her. She then told me that she'd been at the hospital with a friend who doesn't really have much family and was going through some very serious, life-threatening struggles. Then when I talked to my mom today she said she had spent most of the day with my sister-in-law who has some serious health problems right now. Then she went on to tell me that she'd be happy to go with me to the doctor's tomorrow as Tanner gets out all these stitches. My mom just gives and gives with little thought to her own needs. My mom's a special lady! My boys love her a ton too.
4- On a lighter note, Carter had his pre-school graduation today. He kept complaining that he didn't want to go. I figured that he wouldn't really participate or that he'd cop a little attitude. Boy was I wrong. The kid loved being up on stage. He kept playing with the microphone prior to the program beginning. He sang all the songs and got up and proudly spoke his lines when it was his turn. It made me really proud of him. The last part of the program the teachers made a DVD with pictures from the school year set to music. Carter and another little girl stole the spotlight when they started dancing in front of everyone. Oh, he was just so cute. I didn't want to stop him because it was so funny and innocent. He has some awesome dance moves. We like to have dance parties at our house. Anyways, one of the songs from the DVD was some country song--I think it's called "Let Them Be Little". It's a totally sappy song. But it kind of made me emotional. Carter has been such a fun, sweet-spirited kid. Jeff and I often say that we hope he doesn't change because he just puts a smile on our faces. Carter's teacher made a little booklet for them. One of the pages in the booklet posed the question "What do you want to be when you grow up". Carter's page was basically blank and the teacher had written a note at the bottom that said "My mom says I can't grow up". I tell Carter all the time that he's not allowed to grow up. He's okay with that and says he doesn't want to grow up. I guess we have a good deal there. Now if only that were possible. Jeff and I were just saying that it seems like Carter has really grown up a lot over the last few months. It is really fun to see his personality developing. He's a fun guy!
5- Braeden temporarily lost his CTR ring in the dug out at baseball last night. He got very upset until it was found. After the game I told him he didn't need to freak out so much about losing his ring. He then explained to me that it was more than just a ring, "it's a reminder Mom". He went on the say that it not just reminds him to do what's right, but it reminds him of how much he loves Jesus. He got very emotional as he explained this to me. Braeden has a tender, tender little heart--especially when it comes to Jesus. He says that he loves Jesus more than anyone--"even more than I love you mom". We have to be careful when we speak of Jesus with Braeden because he gets very emotional at times as he wishes he could see Jesus and be with him again. I think that kid has more faith than most. He asks very deep spiritually-related questions that I sometimes struggle to answer. He is such a thinker. I hope we can keep up with him.
6- Just in the past week or two, I've had what seems like a lot of people tell me how impressed with and appreciative they are of my husband. It's always nice to hear that, but it's something I've always know.n We feel like we're becoming pros at the hospital with the surgery procedures. One thing in particular is that right after your kid gets out of surgery only one parent can go back then about 10-15 minutes later the other parent can go back once they get them into recovery. With Tanner's prior two surgeries I've been the first to go back. This time, we had Coleman with us and when they said that one parent could go back Jeff went so that I could be with Coleman whom I almost had asleep. When the hospital worker saw the dad coming, she seemed shocked that it wasn't the mom and made a comment about it. I guess it's usually the mom who goes first. Of course I couldn't wait to see Tanner, but heck our kids LOVE their dad. He's practically like a rock star around here. So, I knew that he would be fine with Jeff. So, that experience actually made me think of how grateful I am the Jeff is such an awesome dad and that we can do things a little non-traditionally because he's so involved and great with the kids. I guess that having 9 younger brothers and sisters gave him a little experience in dealing with kids. Jeff's an amazing person and I feel glad he's mine--it's almost been eight years now. Our anniversary is June 15th. It's crazy to think of what we've accomplished and been through in 8 years. What a ride.
7- Then sweet little baby Coleman. I am just so grateful for reflux medication. This enables him to feel good and be the happy, sweet baby that he is. He's been sleeping great both at night and during the day for his naps. This makes my life easier. He gives us cute little open-mouth smiles that light up the room and he's starting to try and "talk". Jeff loves the baby talk stage and he's good at getting Coleman to smile and chat with him.

So, can you see why the words "tender mercies" came to mind? Sorry this is so long and journalish and personal. I really do promise that I've got a boatload of pictures coming soon! I'm just too lazy to download pictures now. I really do have some great pictures to share.

8 comments:

Trent and Rhonda Wardwell said...

These moments are definitely what keep me going with such chaotic and trying times with the kids! Ammon is a terror with throwing hard objects and biting, but he does it with a smile and is just so precious...motherhood can be so confusing to someone whose never been a parent...the Lord has to remind us every now and then that it's all so worth it! Glad to hear about the successful surgery! What a blessing!

It's Miller Time said...

Your blog is so cute Alice! You boys sound so sweet, I can't wait to get to know them better. Let us know if you guys need anything!

jen said...

Your tender mercies made me cry (in a good way). I'm so happy to know you and have you as my friend. I'm so glad your little family has been so blessed. Love ya, Jen,

kara said...

I'm so glad that everyone is doing good, especially Tanner after his surgery. I wish we lived closer to each other so I could have helped you out.

Barbara said...

Thank you Alice, you know I love to have the boys come and play. Thanks for sharing their lives with me. Not only are all your boys including Jeff special but so are you!

Amanda said...

I loved reading that Alice! Thanks for taking the time to share that. Sometimes you have to stop + realize all the little blessings you are given daily. Your boys are so sweet! So, happy to hear Tanner's ears are doing well. Love ya' + miss you:)

brenda said...

Very touching Alice. Your boys are gems! Your thoughts were very humbling as well. Thank you.

Angie said...

Alice, thank you for your post! I am always amazed at your optimism! You have a wonderful family! Thanks for being a good example to me.