Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Coleman






We've been home now for about 48 hours and things are going pretty good. Fortunately Jeff has been off work. We are definitely busy trying to take care of our little guys.

I know there are some who want details of the whole thing. So, here's a little timeline of events. Sorry to bore those of you that could care less with the details.

Saturday night we put the kids to bed and Jeff and I were watching t.v. I was having contractions, but nothing to strong or regular. I didn't think much of it. I fell asleep watching t.v. like I do most nights lately. I got too uncomfortable on the couch, so I told Jeff I was going to head to bed. That was probably around 10:45. I went upstairs got ready for bed then got in bed. I was having a hard time getting comfortable--nothing unusual for someone that is 9 months pregnant. So, I was rearranging all my many pillows so I could turn over on the other side. Then, I noticed that a little fluid was coming out (this was about 11:15). I wondered if it could be my water breaking. I thought that I'd better head for the bathroom just in case. As I started to lean forward to get out of bed, it became very apparent that it was indeed my water breaking. I quietly called down to Jeff as I didn't want to wake the boys. It took me calling for him a few time for him to hear me. He came up and I told him that I my water had broken and that I wasn't kidding. I was worried he wouldn't take me seriously since I had been joking around with him so much about me going into labor.

So, we called my mom to come stay with the boys and we got ready to go to the hospital. We got to the hospital a little after midnight. The whole way to the hospital we were laughing about how jealous Jim and Pam (for all you Office fans) would be that we were getting to the hospital just after midnight. Obviously since we were laughing and joking around, I wasn't really in any pain. I just felt mild contractions. We got to the hospital and got checked in. They checked me and I was at a 2, but my cervix was still far back. I was pretty much at the same place I had been 5 days earlier at my doctor's appointment. I tried to get comfortable and wait for stuff to happen. The contractions were becoming more regular, but still not very painful. At 2:45, we had a scary moment when Coleman's heart rate dropped really low. The nurses came rushing in to insert an internal heart rate monitor (screws into baby's head--sad I know) and give me a shot to relax my uterus. So, yes that pretty much put a halt to the contractions. They put an oxygen mask on me which I had to have for the rest of my labor and delivery. That's also nothing really new to me as all of my little guys seems to get pretty stressed out through labor. It is still very scary though. I was only at a 3 at this point. At about 3:45 my contractions hadn't started back up, so they started me on pitosin. That's nothing new to me as I've been induced with the other three. Anyways, I gradually started to make some progress. I was still at a 3 a little after 7 a.m. Then around 8:30 I was at a 6. The doctor came to check me a little before 10 a.m. and I was complete. Ready to start pushing. I had to push for a little while to help him drop a little more--he was still up a little high. He was born at 10:36! They were a little worried that he might have a hard time after delivery due to his heart rate dropping so much during labor--and he was having some arythmia. They had a team of people ready in case he had problems. Fortunately he came out looking and sounding wonderful.

Anyways, that's the jist of it. After spending a little time with him, I felt like he was definitely a Coleman. That named just seemed to fit...good thing because we didn't have a lot of other options that we could both agree on. His middle name is Curtis which is after my grandpa who passed away when I was in high school. Carter refuses to call him Coleman...he insists on calling him "Nathan" or "Nate". It's pretty funny. Our good friends and old next door neighbors have a little guy named Nathan. When I was pregnant, Carter always said he wanted to name him Nathan (except a few times he wanted to name him James or a silly made-up word). So, Carter told his pre-school teacher that his new baby's name was Nathan. If he wants to hold Coleman or wonders where he is, he refers to him as Nathan. We think it's pretty funny, but we're curious how long it will last!

Here are the pictures as promised. Isn't he cute? Okay, enough of the bragging. We really do love this little guy a lot.

1 comment:

Trent and Rhonda Wardwell said...

I like his name...kind of reminds me of camping...jeff did you have a big hand in this? Just kidding, i like it tons! He is so adorable...I'm stealing a pic to put on my blog! congrats on your "marathon" of a weekend!